Sunday, August 5, 2007

Invisible Super Power

This is an experience that reinforces my belief that the superpower protects us, when we are helpless. We were living in an interior village in Kerala. Our house was like a farmhouse, in the corner of a 2 acre land of coconut farm. We made beautiful garden around the house. The coconut trees stand straight with hanging coconuts; Mango trees with mangoes during the season; one corner with many banana plants; and some rare trees also were there. Watching these trees and walking between them is enough to get relaxed.

All three of our children were not there at home. Two elder girls are with their husbands and son is away for his studies. Our elder daughter is working. Her first baby girl was with them, and they were managing the baby girl with the help of a maid servant, as both of them were working. Then the second child was born, a boy. We were worried about him, as how can they manage both? How can we leave an infant with servant? We decided to take him with us. We brought him, when he was just 6 months. He became out pet. We enjoyed every moment of his growth, his learning to walk, learning to speak, and all his naughtiness. We, me and my husband got fully engaged with him. We forgot all our sorrows those days. We really felt, the joy of grant parents. He also loved us very much. We cared him very much.

It was just 3 years before the child came home, that we got electricity at home. We were watering the coconut trees, other trees and the plants manually lifting water from a big pond very close to our house. As we got electricity, we bought a pump and fixed it near the pond, with a small cover over it to protect it from rain. We used long tubes to take water to far away trees. On the switchboard of the pump, we had an extra plug to fix an electric bulb. Even in the night, in the moonlight we use to water plants.

On a morning grandpa was watering the trees. He was in opposite corner of the courtyard. He was concentrating in his work. Just about one year old grandson was with me and were plucking flowers from plants in the garden. I was removing an insect from a leaf of one of the flower plants. I was pushing the insect down with a stick. I heard a thundering cry of my grandson... I rushed to him and took him and hugged and tried to console. I found him to be very frightened. Exactly when he started crying, the electricity also has gone. He clinched on to me and stopped crying. I asked him why he is crying? he pointed fingers to the switchboard of the pump. There was no bulb as the one which was there got fused and was taken for replacement.

I was trying to understand what happened. The electricity post from which we get the electricity for house is just near the pond and the pump. When the baby put his fingers in the bulb holder, suddenly the electricity from the post stopped.

I believe, when the boy put his fingers in the bulb holder, the invisible superpower saved us. Thank god. Otherwise? I have no strength to imagine that.

6 comments:

Nanditha Prabhu said...

This came as a real surprise!
over the years you have instilled n us , values and faith in the divine...
you have always inspired me ....I am sure your "khayals" will inspire many more!

Naveen Prabhu said...

what a pleasant surprise this is .... i've always taken pride in being the "pet" amongst your "nattus" and "nattis" (the rest can keep feeling jealous)... i was too young to be able to remember this incident ...but to this day i've always felt an invisible hand protecting and guiding me ..... looking forward to more "khayals" ....

Rajeev S said...

I am not sure how many people would be there who start writing at the age of 68 and then go on to win awards for quality of writing... And now to start blogging at the age of 75, and share her thoughts. Its not the quality of English that you write matters, but the quality of the postings that matters...

I am proud to be your son, and very satisfied to be instrumental in pulling yo on to blogging... By knowing you, I am sure, the day is not far off, when I can see you sitting in front of the computer, and typing in your blogs by yourself. I am sure, many are going to get inspired from you...

harimohan said...

madam
great to read your post .
i always feel we are as old as we think we are ,you have struck the barrier and got into blogging intresting posts congrats .looking forwards to more of them

Jaishree Iyer said...

i want to say in one word you are my inspiration. wonderful....

Dr Sudha Kilikar said...

this "Invisible super power"is protecting and guiding all of us...and may it continue through out...very happy to read your post ammuma...looking forward to more posts...